St Ann's Hydro
Stacks Image 1147
The St Ann’s Hydropathic Establishment was opened in 1943 at St Ann’s Hill, Blarney. Built by Dr Richard Barter, the Hydro was at its peak during the period from 1880 to 1920. There were as many as 80 bedrooms, and included a farm where fresh food was produced and a fish hatchery. There were Turkish baths, tennis courts, billiard rooms, reading rooms and a bowling alley. In 19097 a golf course was added to the facilities. The Hydro remained open until 1952 and the buildings have since been almost entirely demolished.

Dr Richard Barter was born in Kilmichael, County Cork in 1802, and completed his studies at the Royal College of Physicians in London in 1828, when he moved back to Ireland. He became interested in hydropathy and studied the subject in great detail before opening the Hydro in 1843. He collaborated with David Urquhart on the introduction of Turkish Baths into the United Kingdom and built the first in Ireland at the Hydro in 1856. Dr Barter died in 1870, by which time his son, also Richard, had taken over the running of the Hydro.