Matehy
A little hamlet, c. 8 kms NW of Blarney
Stacks Image 11
  1. St Joseph’s RC Church, Matehy. Opened 1875 AD. Still in active use.
  2. Site of Thatched Penal Church, C. 1700-1875 AD. Priest murdered here.
  3. Locals reinterred their dead here following burial of ‘Fox’, at Loughane.
  4. Matehy Parish Church- chancel destroyed post Reformation, recorded 1615.AD
  5. Church of Ireland, Vicar’s residence – post Reformation.
  6. Glebe land. Grazing and stabling for Vicar’s horse. Reverted to Catholic ownership subsequent to Gladstone’s Disestablishment Act. (Jan. 1st 1871 AD).
  7. Matehy/Vicarstown, old school site. 1856-1969 AD. Slated 2 teacher mixed school, no playground or piped water, dry toilet in outdoor iron roofed shed.
Legend of moving, or moved, graves/burials.
Local folk history recalls that a priest was murdered in the Penal Church (Site 2), as he celebrated Mass by a soldier/priest hunter named ‘Fox’. He was subsequently killed at the nearby ford on the Shournagh river, now dubbed ‘Fox’s Bridge’. He, Fox, was interred in the adjacent graveyard at Loughane . (This was part of the ancient parish of Matehy, known in the middle-ages as ‘Cloherkin’). Local residents were incensed a; that their priest was murdered and b; that his murderer was buried with their deceased kin. They disinterred some of their recent burials in above graveyard and reinterred their remains in the grounds of Matehy Parish Church (Site 3), circa three hundred years ago.
This sad memory of religious persecution and discrimination has been superseded by a culture of ecumenism and mutual respect – ‘love thy neighbour’.
Matehy
Described as follows in "A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837"
From BooksUlster.com
MATTEHY, or MATHEA, a parish, in the barony of BARRETTS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W.) from Cork, on the road to Tralee; containing 2156 inhabitants. It comprises 12,160 statute acres, of which 11,399 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6645 per annum. The surface is diversified, moderately well cultivated, and fertile, producing excellent crops. A new line of road has been opened through the parish. On the river Dripsey, which flows through it, are the extensive paper-mills belonging to Messrs. Magnay and Co., affording employment to from 70 to 100 persons, in the manufacture of large quantities of paper for the English market; the buildings are of handsome appearance, and situated in a deep and well-wooded glen. There are also flour mills. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Inniscarra: the tithes amount to £513. 14. 3. The church having been in ruins for several years, the parishioners resort to that of Inniscarra, which has been recently rebuilt in a more central situation, for the general convenience of the union. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Inniscarra, and has a small chapel. There is a private school, in which about 160 children are instructed.